Types of Financial Aid

At the UCLA School of Nursing, we understand that financial assistance is of the utmost importance and believe a nursing education should be accessible to everyone. 

We help students finance a nursing education through a combination of scholarships, grants, fellowships, and an array of loan options. Over 90 percent of graduate Nursing students and more than 80 percent of undergraduate Nursing students benefit from some type of financial assistance. Most of our financial aid applicants receive gift aid that does not need to be repaid.

Our financial aid office is committed to helping students explore resources and create packages tailored to their unique needs. The purpose of this section is to inform prospective and admitted students of the types of assistance available. 

Starting in fall 2022, the University of California Native American Opportunity Plan ensures that in-state systemwide mandatory tuition and fees are fully covered for California residents who are members of federally recognized Native American, American Indian and Alaska Native tribes.


To be eligible for this award, students must meet all of the following criteria:

  1. Newly admitted or a current law school student
  2. California resident
  3. Enrolled member in a federally recognized Native American, American Indian and/or Alaska Native tribe
  4. Enrolled in a state-supported UC degree program (i.e., students in self-supporting and certificate programs do not qualify)

If you are a member of a tribe that is not federally recognized, additional support may be available through external organization, including the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria Scholarship Fund.

Documentation Requirements

Students should file a FAFSA, but no additional application is required.

Students who are potentially eligible must submit tribal enrollment documentation from their federally recognized tribe or the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA).  All documents must be uploaded to www.my.ucla.edu under the ‘Documents’ section of ‘Finances and Jobs.”  Documentation may include any of the following:

  • Certification of tribal enrollment on tribal letterhead
  • Enrollment/membership card that contains the tribal seal and/or official signature of a tribal leader
  • Certification of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB) if the CDIB includes tribal enrollment information
  • Tribal identification card with an enrollment number

Students must also submit tribal contact information (address, phone, email) if it is not evident on submitted documentation.