The Financial Aid Office in the School of Nursing awards aid to students who demonstrate financial need according to established federal and state guidelines. To apply for financial support, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA)

Types of aid awarded to undergraduate students

Cal Grant A provides grant funds to help pay tuition/fees for California residents at qualifying institutions offering undergraduate academic programs. Awards are based on need and grade point average established by the California Student Aid Commission. If you qualify for a Cal Grant A and you choose to attend a California Community College first, you can reserve your award for up to two years until you transfer to a 4 year college.

Cal Grant B provides grant funds for students from low-income families. The awards are to be used to help pay tuition, fees and access costs. The Cal Grant B award during the first year is for access costs only ($1,672), including expenses for transportation, supplies and books. Beginning with the second year of the Cal Grant B grant, the award also covers tuition and fees. Note: Cal Grant A and B Entitlement awards are for High School graduates under the age of 28 by December 31 of the award year with a minimum GPA of 3.0 for A and 2.0 for B.

Students must meet the California Student Aid Commission's Income and Asset Ceilings requirements to be eligible for a Cal Grant.

Based on exceptional need, the Federal Pell Grant is awarded to undergraduate students who are US citizens or eligible non-citizens, and who have not earned a Bachelor’s degree. Students who file the FAFSA are automatically considered for a Pell Grant. For 2021-22, full time awards start at $650 with a maximum award of $6,495. The Federal Pell Grant is not available to CA DREAM applicants.

University Grants are one-year, non-renewable grants awarded to undergraduate students who complete their FAFSA before the priority filing deadline. These awards recognize and assist students with financial need.

Starting in fall 2022, the University of California Native American Opportunity Plan ensures that in-state systemwide mandatory tuition and fees are fully covered for California residents who are members of federally recognized Native American, American Indian and Alaska Native tribes.


To be eligible for this award, students must meet all of the following criteria:

  1. Newly admitted or a current law school student
  2. California resident
  3. Enrolled member in a federally recognized Native American, American Indian and/or Alaska Native tribe
  4. Enrolled in a state-supported UC degree program (i.e., students in self-supporting and certificate programs do not qualify)

If you are a member of a tribe that is not federally recognized, additional support may be available through external organization, including the Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria Scholarship Fund.

Documentation Requirements

Students should file a FAFSA, but no additional application is required.

Students who are potentially eligible must submit tribal enrollment documentation from their federally recognized tribe or the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA).  All documents must be uploaded to under the ‘Documents’ section of ‘Finances and Jobs.”  Documentation may include any of the following:

  • Certification of tribal enrollment on tribal letterhead
  • Enrollment/membership card that contains the tribal seal and/or official signature of a tribal leader
  • Certification of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB) if the CDIB includes tribal enrollment information
  • Tribal identification card with an enrollment number

Students must also submit tribal contact information (address, phone, email) if it is not evident on submitted documentation.

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded program for students who demonstrate financial need. Work-Study funds are limited and offered to eligible students based on financial need and on-time application status.

Additional information about Work-Study can be located under Work-Study and Jobs.

Direct Subsidized Loans are federally guaranteed loans based on financial need. This loan is offered to undergraduate students only. Interest does not accrue on the loan while the student is enrolled at least half-time. Students are not required to start making payments on this loan until six (6) months after they graduate or drop below half time.

For more information, including current interest rates, please see our Undergraduate Loan Guide.

Direct Unsubsidized Loans are federal guaranteed loans that all students, regardless of need, are eligible to receive. Interest begins accruing after the first disbursement. Students are not required to start making payments on this loan until six (6) months after they graduate or drop below half time.

For more information including current interest rates, please see our Undergraduate Loan Guide.

The Direct Parent PLUS Loan is a loan option for parents with dependent students to help pay for their educational costs. Parents can borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any other financial aid the student is receiving. Interest begins accruing after the first disbursement. Parents are not required to start making payments on this loan until sixty (60) days after the loan is fully disbursed. Parents may also defer payment if the student is enrolled at least half-time, or during the six (6) month period after the student has graduated or ceases to be enrolled at least half-time.

For more information please see our Undergraduate Loan Guide or our video guide to the differences between PLUS and Private loans.

The Nursing Student Loan (NSL) is available to nursing students whose FAFSAs show exceptional financial need, who are enrolled at least half time, and who meet satisfactory academic progress standards.

UCLA SON's Financial Aid Office determines loan amounts, and the University Student Loan Services & Collections Office handles the promissory note, entrance and exit counseling, and repayment process for NSLs. 

The amount you can borrow each year is based on your academic standing. Freshman and sophomores can borrow up to $5,236 each year. Juniors, seniors, and Graduate students can borrow up to $8,237 each year. Overall, you have a lifetime undergraduate aggregate borrowing limit of $24,768 for NSLs.

NSLs have a fixed interest rate of 5 percent. Interest does not accrue while you are enrolled at least half time and during deferment and grace periods.

After you stop attending school at least half time, your nine-month grace period will begin. If you enroll as a nursing student during the grace period and are approved for an in-school deferment, you will get another nine-month grace period the next time you stop attending school at least half time. If you re-enroll again, you are not eligible for another grace period. 

Repayment begins when your grace period ends. The maximum repayment period is 10 years, and you will be expected to make regular payments. You may repay your loan at any time without penalty. This may reduce your interest costs significantly. 

Choosing how to finance your education is one of the most important decisions you will make - and the impact of that decision will follow you well beyond graduation. Once you have exhausted your eligibility for Federal, State, and University financial aid and loans, you may need to consider applying for a private educational loan, also called an alternative loan. These loans are not federal student loans. They are offered by private lenders and are used to supplement other types of financial aid. The interest rates and repayment terms on these loans may vary.

Students may refer to the UC Preferred Lender List which includes lenders that have been extensively evaluated by the University of California Office of the President and found to provide competitive rates and loan terms to students.

To find out more information regarding the terms and the application process for private loans go to our Undergraduate loan guide. You can also review our video guide comparing PLUS and Private loans

UC Code of Conduct for Preferred Lender Arrangements


How to Apply: 

Students entering the UCLA School of Nursing are advised to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA). The FAFSA or CADAA must be submitted by March 2nd to be considered on time. Failure to meet this deadline will result in a reduction of aid available to you. The UCLA school code for both applications is 001315.

Learn more about applying for aid


School of Nursing Scholarships

One of the highest honors that may be conferred on an undergraduate student is the awarding of a Regents Scholarship. One entering nursing student is selected each year for this prestigious award. The top applicants will automatically compete for this award. Selection will be made by the School of Nursing Subcommittee on Awards, Honors, and Scholarships.

The School of Nursing administers several scholarship funds that are awarded to 3rd and 4th year students on the basis of financial need and/or merit.

  • Karen Collins Booher
  • Bonnie A.C. Lee Fang Memorial
  • Marie J. Cowan
  • Harriet Coston Moidel
  • Dianne Matoff
  • Lydia M. Parker
  • Elvira G. Larson
  • Donald T. Leahy
  • Margaret H. Brown


How to Apply: 

The Financial Aid and Scholarships Undergraduate Scholarships Application is open year-round. Priority consideration is given to students who submit their applications by JUNE 30 each year. Students should log in to the Scholarship Portal and complete a profile to be considered for scholarship opportunities.

  • PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS: Applicants for admission to UCLA may apply via the Prospective Undergraduate Scholarship Portal for scholarships that are awarded during the admission cycle for the upcoming Fall quarter. 
  • CONTINUING STUDENTS: Scholarships awarded to undergraduate students require that you apply through our scholarship portal each year.
  • Must submit a FAFSA or Dream Act application by the March 2 priority deadline EVERY YEAR to be considered for need-based scholarships.
  • Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to continue to receive scholarships.


Corbett Disclosure Statement

Students considering student loans need to be aware of the differences between federal student loans and private student loans.

Important Notice: Federal student loans are available to most students regardless of income and provide a range of repayment options including income-based repayment plans and loan forgiveness benefits, which other education loans are not required to provide.

  • Federal student loans are required by law to provide a range of flexible repayment options including, but not limited to, income-based and income-contingent repayment plans, as well as loan forgiveness benefits that private lenders are not required to provide.
  • Federal direct loans are available to most students regardless of income. Other qualification criteria do apply. For more information, please visit the Federal Student Aid Website.
  • Private student loan lenders can offer variable interest rates that can increase or decrease over time, depending on market conditions.
  • The interest rate on a private loan may depend on borrower's and/or cosigner's credit rating.
  • Private student loans have a range of interest rates and fees and students should determine the interest rate of, and any fees associated with, the private student loan included in their financial aid award package before accepting the loan.
  • Students should contact the lender of the private student loan or their UC campus' financial aid office if they have any questions about a private student loan.