M.S.N. MECN - Admission Requirements
Applications for Fall 2022 are now available at www.grad.ucla.edu and will have a November 1, 2021 deadline.
M.S.N./Master's Entry Clinical Nurse applicants must provide evidence of the following:
1. Graduation from a recognized college or university having an accredited baccalaureate program satisfactory to the School of Nursing and the UCLA Graduate Division with an overall scholastic average of B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better, or graduation with a baccalaureate degree from an international institution with a program satisfactory to the School of Nursing and the UCLA Graduate Division.
Completion of approved prerequisite courses or equivalent with a minimum grade of C in the subjects listed below. All applicants to the MECN program must complete all approved prerequisite courses (other than Epidemiology) by the end of December 2021 for the Fall 2022 entry. AP course credit will only be accepted for one prerequisite course. Due to COVID-19, Universities are moving course grades to Pass/No Pass. The MECN program will accept Pass grades for prerequisites but encourage if the option is for a letter grade if possible. The MECN program will also accept courses taught remotely online due to COVID-19 as long as the courses come from an accredited institution.
- Chemistry Inorganic, Organic, and Biochemistry – see approved course list
- Epidemiology (UCLA Nursing 50)
- Human Anatomy (UCLA Physiological Science 13 or Nursing 13) (NURSING 13 ONLINE COURSE OFFERED IN SUMMER SESSION)
- Human Physiology (UCLA Physiological Science 3 or Nursing 3) (NURSING 3 ONLINE COURSE OFFERED IN SUMMER SESSION) (5-year time limit - to entry date)
- Microbiology (UCLA Microbiology 6 or 101)
- Psychology (UCLA Psychology 10)
- Statistics (UCLA Biostatistics 100A)
- English Composition or Writing (2 courses)
- Group and/or Verbal Communication (UCLA Communication Studies 1 or 10)
2. Personal and academic competence attested through three letters of recommendation.
3. Since written and verbal communication skills are basic to the practice of nursing, it is essential that applicants read, write and speak English well. International applicants from a country in which English is not the first language and medium of instruction are required to pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of at least 87 on the internet-based test, 220 on the computer-based test or 560 paper-based test or complete International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic examination with an overall band score of 7.0 or higher. Scores must be submitted prior to consideration for admission.
Applicants with Military Experience
UCLA School of Nursing will accept qualified student applicants who have completed relevant military education and experiences, have met the University admission requirements, and who present documented equivalency courses. Once admitted, such individuals are eligible for credit by challenge examination. Contact Mark Covin, Director of Recruitment, Outreach & Admissions for further information.